Once in your new home.
With so much going on as you move into your new home, it’s easy to overlook a few details. Following is a simple checklist that may help you settle in.
- Notify utility companies (gas, electric, water, cable and telephone). If possible take care of these calls before you move to your new home.
- Check pilot light on hot water heater and furnace, if applicable.
- Register car within five days after arrival in state.
- Register children in their new school.
- Register family in your place of worship.
- Ask the Post Office for any mail being held for your arrival.
- Arrange banking services.
- Check and clear any outstanding tax assessments.
- Have new address recorded on driver’s license, if applicable.
- Register for voting.
Learn About Your New City
There are abundant resources available for learning about your new city. Before you go exploring, check out what these organizations offer:
- Local Chamber of Commerce
- Local newspapers
- Internet – see if your city/town has a website
- The internet can also help you find your favorite stores – just check their websites for store locations in your area.
- City building – can provide you with helpful information such as trash collection, police and fire service, local park programs, and community activities.